Thursday, August 16, 2007

LOVE WAR


Czech midfield star Tomas Rosicky (Left) will be under extra scrutiny as he is torn between his love for 'the enemy', his formative club, Sparta Prague, and his present club, Arsenal. -- Picture: AP

ARSENAL'S Champions League clash away to Sparta Prague today will be an emotional homecoming for Tomas Rosicky.

The Czech Republic midfielder will be playing against what he still calls his club for the first time ever in the crucial third qualifying round first-leg match in his home city.

The 26-year-old played for Sparta from a young age until he signed for Germany's Borussia Dortmund in 2001.

'It will be the first time I will be playing against them,' he told Arsenal TV Online.

'I grew up there. This is my club. I was there from (age) seven or eight until my 20s, and Sparta Prague prepared me for all the steps throughout my career.

'My brother played for Sparta Prague and my father played for Sparta Prague, so it is a bit emotional.

'It will be strange for me because I have feelings for the club.'

Five Gunners players who will miss the Prague trip were those not fit enough for Arsenal's opening English Premier League match, a 2-1 home win over Fulham.

They are: striker Eduardo da Silva (ankle injury), midfielders Abou Diaby and Denilson, veteran midfielder Gilberto, who was given an extended break following Brazil's Copa America triumph, and Togo striker Emmanuel Adebayor (groin).

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is expected to name an unchanged side.
Said Wenger: 'Rosicky will be under pressure more than the others because of the extra scrutiny.

'It is a big game for the whole squad, because for us what is at stake is whether we qualify or not.

'He is classy and I feel he is at the age where he can get the right balance in the final third.

'He is sharp, quick and lively. What we want from him is key passes and to score goals. I am convinced he will.'

About his team's attitude towards the game, Wenger said: 'I learnt (on Sunday) what I knew before from the preparation - that we had great unity and desire and a great hunger as well.

'This came out in the game because we won a match that we certainly would not have won last year.'

Wenger knows it will not be an easy ride against the Czech champions at the AXA Arena.

'It is a vital match,' said the Arsenal manager. 'We want to be in the group stage. Nobody invites you to get in on a red carpet. Sparta are a good team and the first game is very important.'

Wenger is keen to see the Gunners 'fight' on both the domestic and European fronts this season. PA Sport.

No comments:

Google